Intensive Care Unit
Our 10-bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU) provides highly skilled nursing for critically ill patients. Using advanced patient monitoring technology and sophisticated medical equipment, we provide continuous, comprehensive care for patients with serious conditions and life-threatening situations, including those recovering from:
- Respiratory failure
- Severe accidents
- Complex illnesses, and
- Complex surgical procedures
A Comprehensive Approach
To meet each patient’s unique needs, we follow a multi-disciplinary approach that involves a highly-skilled, highly-trained team comprised of:
- Physicians specialized in critical care and trauma
- ICU-trained nurses
- Physical and respiratory therapists, and
- Social services
Our team is committed to working closely together in a collaborative environment to provide expert health care and to treat patients patients with the compassion and respect they deserve. Due to critical nature of patients’ health conditions, every single patient receives advanced medical care.
Advanced Facilities for Quality Care
Each of our private ICU rooms was created with a spacious design to accommodate all of the necessary medical equipment required for continuous patient monitoring, while still offering plenty of room for loved ones to visit.
A centralized nurse workstation is located right outside of the patient rooms, enabling the ICU nursing staff to respond quickly to emergencies or any other patient need. The ICU is located adjacent to both the Emergency and the Surgery Departments, so transporting patients is less disruptive.
Connected Care, by Design
Special monitoring equipment keeps our nurses constantly informed about each patient’s vital signs and alerts the staff to any changes in a patient’s condition.
Because we use electronic medical records, authorized members of the patient’s care team have instant access at all times to the most up-to-date patient information. Physicians can view this information, via secure Internet access, from any computer in the hospital, from their offices or even from home.
ICU Visitors Welcome
At Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital, we welcome family members to visit with patients in our ICU, as research has shown that patients experience positive health benefits when visited by loved ones. To protect patients’ privacy and confidentiality, and to provide a healing environment, we do ask that visitors follow these guidelines:
- Limit the number of visitors to two at one time, unless special arrangements have been made with the patient’s nurse
- Limit visitors to immediate family members or significant others
- Due to increased risk of infection, children under the age of 12 are not permitted
- Limit the duration of visits to 10 – 15 minutes (frequent, short visits provide patient support, yet leave enough time for recovery)
- To protect the privacy of all of our patients, please do not visit in the ICU hallways